Who is Sarah Maestas Barnes fighting for?
Well, it’s pretty clear it isn’t New Mexico’s families.
Cuts to seniors.
- Maestas Barnes Voted For SB 159 In 2015, The Severance Tax Bond Projects Bill Which Reduced “Senior Citizen Projects Totaling $8.5 Million” [SB 159, 2015 Fiscal Impact Report, 3/21/15]
- SB 159 “Cut 77 Percent Of Funding From Projects For Senior Citizens” And $1.6 Million From A “Critical Home Service Program That Reduces Costly Emergency Room Visits For Seniors.” According to ProgressNow NM and the New Mexico House Democrats, “House Republicans cut 77 percent of funding from projects for senior citizens — projects that would have fed hungry senior citizens and fixed collapsing roofs in senior centers. Over $1.6 million was cut from Los Volcanes, Rio Rancho, and Tijeras Senior Centers, as well as from a critical home service program that reduces costly emergency room visits for seniors.” [ProgressNow NM, 4/8/15]
Siding with big oil & gas companies.
Maestas Barnes Voted For HB 366, The Oil And Gas State Preemption During The 2015 Legislative Session. According to the New Mexico State Legislature, Maestas Barnes voted for HB 366, the oil and gas state preemption. [New Mexico Legislature, HB 366, 3/10/15]
- HB 366 “Would Have Invalidated Any County And Municipality Ordinance Relating To Oil And Gas Law, Including Zoning Ordinances – Removing The Critical Flexibility That Communities Need To Protect The Public Interest On A Local Scale.” According to Conservation New Mexico, “Counties and municipalities have the power to adopt local ordinances that best suit community needs and interests. To date, some communities have passed ordinances restricting certain aspects of oil and gas production in response to concerns of water contamination and health risks. HB 366 would have invalidated any county and municipality ordinance relating to oil and gas law, including zoning ordinances–removing the critical flexibility that communities need to protect the public interest on a local scale.” [Conservation New Mexico, accessed 6/28/16]
- HB 366 Would “Limit Local Control And Gives The State Oil Conservation Division And Oil Conservation Commission Exclusive Authority To Regulate Oil And Gas Extraction.” According to the Santa Fe New Mexican, “On a 37-28 vote, the House passed an amended version of House Bill 366, which limits local control and gives the state Oil Conservation Division and Oil Conservation Commission exclusive authority to regulate oil and gas extraction, well siting and processing except on tribal lands.” [Santa Fe New Mexican, 3/10/15]
Cutting Medicaid to protect tax cuts for the wealthy.
- Maestas Barnes Voted Against The Economy For Everyone Amendment Which Would Have Ensured That “$20 Million Will Be Directed To Medicaid.” According to the New Mexico House Democrats, “The Economy for Everyone Amendment also will ensure that an added $20 million will be directed to Medicaid.” [New Mexico House Democrats, 2/6/16]
- ABQ Journal: “The Federal Government Pays New Mexico From $3 To $4 For Every Dollar It Spends” On Medicaid. According to the Albuquerque Journal, “As a result, HSD came up $86 million short of what it projected it needed in state funds for the next 16 months. The federal government pays New Mexico from $3 to $4 for every dollar it spends – so the total shortfall balloons to $417 million when the missing federal matching funds are factored in.” [Albuquerque Journal, 3/5/16]
A new investigation has uncovered that Maestas Barnes concealed her husband has been paid over 440,000 of your tax dollars.
Maestas Barnes’ Husband’s Business Has Been Paid More Than $442K By The State Since 2011
T&D Fortress, A Company That Listing Harry Barnes As Its Registered Agent, Was Paid $91K By The Human Services Department In FY16 For Rent
T&D Fortress LLC Was Paid $91,638 For FY16 Rent By The Human Services Department For A Building In Albuquerque. According to the New Mexico Sunshine Portal, T&D Fortress LLC was paid $91,638 for “FY16 rent of building” by the Human Services Department. [New Mexico Sunshine Portal, accessed 7/13/16]
Harry Barnes, Jr. Was The Registered Agent For T&D Fortress LLC. According to the New Mexico Secretary of State, Harry Barnes, Jr. was the registered agent for T&D Fortress LLC. [New Mexico Secretary of State, accessed 7/13/16]
In Total, The Human Services Department Has Paid T&D Fortress Over $442,000 For Rent Since 2011
[New Mexico Sunshine Portal, accessed 7/13/16]
Despite the legal requirement to disclose all business her family might have with state, Maestas Barnes hid the $440,000 in payments to her husband’s company. An amount that has increased since she took office.
Maestas Barnes ignored the law.
She doesn’t want to play by the same rules as the rest of us.
Maestas Barnes is ok slashing $80 million from Medicaid, while hiding that her family is getting over $440,000 in your tax dollars.
She put the interests of her own family before the interests of our families.
Say no to politicians who are out for themselves, say no to Sarah Maestas Barnes.
Paid for by Patriot Majority New Mexico